The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has an opening for a Web Developer/Administrator Student with Information Technology Services. The Web Developer/Administrator student will support the work of the Web Services team in the municipality; will program and administer custom applications for internal and external customers as well as utilize SharePoint to manage internal and external web services. This positon will start approximately May 2, 2019, for a period up to August 30, 2019. This position is located at 519 King Street West, Unit 2, Chatham.
Position reports to:
Manager, Information Services
About Information Services:
The information services team is responsible for administration and support of all corporate applications used by the Municipality of Chatham-Kent including our internal and external websites, content management system, finance, payroll, tax, human resources, recreation programming, customer response systems, geographic information systems, permits, licensing, inspection, traffic engineering and public health. Information Services also provides business analysis support for business process assessment and improvement and service requests.
· General administration and support for the Community Web Portal and corporate content management systems in accordance with industry accepted best practices and municipal policies
· Development and troubleshooting of custom web applications
· Provide training, documentation, technical assistance and advice to the web application users
· Participate in the development and integration of graphical and multimedia components
· Participate as an advisor and technical consultant for internet/web issues
· Recommend and implement enhancements or modifications to the web sites
· Perform application and support activities for all web-based systems and troubleshoot software related difficulties.
· Liaise with systems experts on hardware and software issues that affect the Web site and its availability
· Track site access and usage statistics and provide usage reporting
· Contribute to a consistent Web site architectural structure for across web applications
Summer Student Qualifications:
· To qualify for this summer student position, students must currently be enrolled in school full-time for the 2018/2019 winter term (normally ending April, May or June) and/or returning to school full-time in the 2019 fall term (normally starting in August or September)
· All summer students will be required to complete their Health & Safety and other on-line mandatory training on or before their first day of employment
Ability to demonstrate Chatham-Kent’s Core Values and Competencies through a combination of education and experience:
· Currently enrolled in a Community college diploma or certificate (or university degree) in the area of information technology, computer technology, internet technology, software development.
· Creativity and experience with computer graphic and multimedia design
· Familiarity with database design and relational database platforms.
· Strong communications skills, both written and oral
· Familiar with Microsoft technology tools such as: SQL Server, Microsoft SharePoint, IIS (Internet Information System) in a .NET environment
· Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) (or other similar software program)
· All employees will be required to complete their Health & Safety and other on-line mandatory training on or before their first day of employment; other training (including Health & Safety policies) may also be required
This positon will work indoors.
Hours of Work:
This positon will work weekday hours, with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Police check requirements
Because of the environment this position will be working in, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Information Search (criminal reference check) prior to commencement of employment.
Essential physical and/or safety requirements:
· Sitting: constant sitting in a chair (constant sitting at a desk operating a computer; sometimes sitting in a vehicle seat to attend a meeting/training at another location within Chatham-Kent or to training/conference in another location (London, Toronto, etc.))
· Hands: constant fine finger dexterity (movement), mousing (using a computer and mouse)
· Interviews are tentatively scheduled for week of April 22, 2019.
This summer student position has an hourly wage range of $15.50 to $16.50, plus vacation and statutory benefits according to the employment standards act.